Diva DI: Easy Denim Choker
The resurgence of denim has hit us hard. You see in denim boots, denim with patches, sparkle, and both oversized and fitted. What has also become popular are denim accessories, specifically the choker. I'm sure you can buy one, but I decided to make use of a pair of my old jeans and one myself. So I gathered my supplies and put on watched Luke Cage (for the first time) and got to work. Instructions on this trendy accessory are below.
You Will Need:
- Cut waste band from a pair of jeans (or shorts)
- Thick needle
- Pin (I used my needle as my pin)
- Thread (I ran out of blue, but choose a color close to wash of your denim. If you can't find a similar color it's not biggie, It won't be seen.)
- Pen or marker
Step One: Measure Your Neck
Now, I'm sure there maybe be a more efficient way to do this, but this is what worked for me.
- With the button closed, place the denim fabric around your neck and pull backwards. The button should be in the center of your neck.
- Pinch the fabric on both sides as close to you neck as possible that feels comfortable for you.
- Move your fingers back (away from you) about an inch, then make a mark with your pen. This is where you will cut off the excess fabric.
- With the newly cut fabric, remeasure your neck as instructed above in numbers 1 and 2.
- The excess fabric (about an inch), fold that inward.
- Remove from neck, while keeping one or both side folded inward.
- Pin the folded sides, cut off half an inch of fabric past the pinned area. This allows for a more close and comfortable fit of the choker.
- Turn the choker inside out. This allowed the seam to face the inside of the choker.
- Sew the two pinned sides securely. Check durability, by tugging firmly, but gently. The thread should not come out.
Last but not least, enjoy your trendy new accessory!!